Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Down the Road by Bowie V. Ibarra

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ok, so I read about this book on the forums and thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately as yet it's not available in the UK yet so I had to order it from the States which took about a month to get here, during which time I was thinking, "is it gonna be worth the wait?"
Well, was it worth the wait? In my opinion, Yes it was thankfully!

The plot centres around George Zaragosa, a school teacher from Austin, Texas, who after outbreak of zombies attempts to get back home to his family in San Ulvade.

Now the road trip is nothing particularly original when it comes to zombie novels (at least the few I have read) and for good reason. If there was an outbreak I'm sure there are many of us who would attempt to get to family or friends. So it's as good a starting point as any.

Is this road trip worth your while reading? Yes. The book is only 167 pages long so the story flies along at a good pace. The characters, especially George, are well written, his sense of loss during the story being brought across very well.

There is a fair amount of gore in the book, but it never detracts from the story, which I think was the goal here. There are also some nice touches I didn't expect such as race segregation within one of the camps.

I did have one or two issues with the book but nothing too annoying. One being that the story is set within the first few days of an outbreak, yet camps have already been set up (not just military either). I would have liked to see a little more chaos before these had been established.


Aside from a couple grammatical annoyances I thought this was a great read and have it with me at work now to read again! I would recommend this too anyone, and although I'm sure some will disagree with my review, I think more will possibly agree with me.
I for one am looking forward to Bowie's next book, more zombies please!

Overall 4 1/2 (out of five)

Oh yeah, loved the ending!!

Review by Pain (Jude Felton)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home